See Claire Run Again

Sep 14, 2015


Today was my first post baby run. It was scary. I've been telling Bruce for a good two weeks now that "tomorrow I'm going to get up early to run". But every time it was tomorrow and time to go run, I would find a reason not to. I was terrified.

My journey to becoming a "runner" (and I am still hesitant to call myself that, even after completing two half marathons) was slow and painful. When I started, I could barely run for 3 minutes before I had to stop and walk to catch my breath. It took me one full month of training to be able to run a mile without stopping. It took another two months before I could run two miles. Slow and painful. But 6.5 months after I laced up my running shoes for the first time, I ran my first half marathon. It was exhilarating to cross that finish line and realize I had accomplished such a huge feat. 3 months later I ran my second half marathon and that one felt even better. I had not only learned to run, but I had learned to love running. And then I found out I was pregnant. The morning after completing my second half marathon, I saw two pink lines and while excited, I knew that morning sickness was not far behind.

I managed to go for three runs while pregnant. The first was just a few weeks into my pregnancy. I made it 6 miles and it felt great. I was hopeful that I could continue running throughout the pregnancy. Then I got really, really sick and running was no where near an option. When I started to feel better, I decided to try again. On two occasions I went out for short 1 mile runs and found them to be too difficult. By that point my belly was heavy enough that it just wasn't comfortable and I didn't enjoy it. I decided I needed to give up running until after the baby was born but I knew the consequence of this would be that I would have to start from scratch.

After putting it off for several weeks, this morning I tied up my running shoes and found the Mormon Channel app on my phone. I told myself that I only had to go 1 mile and that it was ok for me to stop and walk every few minutes to ease myself back into things. I was beyond ecstatic when not only did I run the entire mile, but I did it at an 11:30 pace, which is exactly what my pace was before getting pregnant. I couldn't go further than a mile, but the fact that I finished one mile non-stop at a good (for me!) pace was huge. I can still run. I didn't lose as much of my running ability as I thought I would. And I enjoyed it! It wasn't easy, but it was fun. I got to listen to a conference talk and push my mind and body to do something I didn't think I was capable of anymore. It felt amazing.

I know it will be quite some time before I am ready for another half marathon and that is ok. I am just so excited that I am still able to run and I look forward to many more peaceful morning runs in the months to come.

1 comment:

  1. Woohoo! That is so amazing. And, how amazing does it still feel to be able to say you've run two half marathons? You're so cool. I'll be able to say that someday, right??

    ReplyDelete

 
site design by designer blogs