Five Years

Oct 6, 2015


It's been five years since my sweet mother in law passed away. I know I sound like a broken record, but I can't believe that much time has passed already. The events of this day, five years ago, are still crystal clear in my mind. Yet here we are. Five years have passed. We live in a new home. We have two sweet little boys that Becky has never met in this life. Bruce has promoted at work. I've been involved in at least a half dozen crazy endeavors. Sunshine and Beebs have both started school. And in an earthly sense, Becky has missed it all. Bruce and I cried together tonight as we talked about how much she would have loved to sit with Man Cub as he takes hour long baths and turns into a prune. And how she would have sat on the couch for hours on end, snuggling sweet Shark Bait. She would have loved going on field trips with the girls and watching Sunshine swim and Beebs do gymnastics. Despite our lives coming to a screeching halt five years ago, they have also continued on and I can't always wrap my brain around that.

I take such comfort in my knowledge of Heavenly Father's plan. I am grateful for the sacrifice He made in sending His son to die for us so that each of us can return to live with Him again. I am grateful for my Saviour, Jesus Christ. For His willingness to suffer, bleed and die. Not only so my sins can be forgiven, but also so that I can one day be reunited with loved ones who have passed on. I said it five years ago, and I say it again. "We are better people because we knew her. And now we want to be the best people we can be to ensure that we can be with her forever. Our broken hearts are filled with gratitude for the time we were given with her."

We truly are grateful for the time we had with Becky. Our memories of her are some of our most treasured possessions. She was such a blessing in our lives and we try each day to live in a way that will allow us to one day be reunited with her. There is a little saying that I've seen floating around- "Because someone we love is in heaven, we have a little piece of heaven in our home". It is so true. Just as she was when she was alive, Becky continues to be the glue that holds our family together. Her absence is a constant reminder of what we are working towards in this life.

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully written, as always. You have such a way with words, and it makes me wish even more that I had had an opportunity to meet her in this life. I too am so grateful for the Plan of Salvation, and the knowledge that we have that we will see our loved ones again, and that our spirits continue to live on after this journey of life on Earth. Such a comforting truth!

    ReplyDelete

 
site design by designer blogs